Thursday, November 6, 2008

Be Proactive not Reactive

In Seven Habits of a Highly Effective Teen by Sean Covey one of the first topics Covey talks about is being proactive instead of reactive. There have been many times that I have been proactive instead of reactive, but there is one time that I will never forget.

One day I was with a friend messing around outside and we decided to go inside up to my room to play a video game, Madden NFL Football 2008. I had gone to the bathroom while he was waiting in my room. I came in and everything looked like it had when I had been in there earlier. We started playing and then I noticed that my mp3 player, a Zune, was not on its charger where I had left it. I didn’t say anything to my friend though I had suspicions. About fifteen minutes later my mom came in and I asked her if she had seen my mp3 player to see how my friend to react. She informed me that my little brother had borrowed it because he was going to Little Rock. I am glad I did not suddenly react when I found that it was missing and accuse my friend. I thought before I acted and that may have just saved my friendship.

No comments: